Monday, April 17, 2006

...breakfast at McDonalds

A quick and simple breakfast after church, that is all Jim and I wanted. I walked over to McDonald’s while he went to the BP to get gas. Easy. He wanted pancakes and coffee. I wanted pancakes and coffee.

Conversation.


CLERK: Good morning, can I help you?
ME: Good morning. Yes, I’ll have two orders of hotcakes and two coffees.
CLERK: You want two hotcakes?
ME: Yes, I want two orders of hotcakes and two coffees.
CLERK: Do you want cream and sugar in your coffee:
ME: No thank you.
CLERK: You only want two hotcakes and coffee?
ME: Yes, two orders of hotcakes and two coffees. I don’t want just two hotcakes.
CLERK: We sell hotcakes by one, two or three.
ME: I want two orders of hotcakes and two coffees.
CLERK: Two hotcakes.
ME: No, there are two of us. Each of us wants an order of hotcakes and coffee.
CLERK: That will be three dollars.
ME: That doesn’t sound right, I think I owe you more money.
CLERK: Well, if you only want two hotcakes and coffee, it is right.
ME: I don’t want two hotcakes. I want two orders of hotcakes and two coffees. I owe you more money.
CLERK: (fiddles with the register). OK. Three dollars and eighty cents.
ME: (at this point, I want to either start laughing or reach across the counter and shake her). That still doesn’t sound right, but OK. (I give her the exact change, because I’m afraid she can’t break a dollar.)
ME: (waits patiently to the side)
CLERK 2 brings out two huge bags and two coffees and sets them in front of me.
ME: I don’t think this is my order, there are four containers. I wanted two orders of hotcakes.
CLERK 2: We put one pancake in each container.

ME: Why?
CLERK 2: It’s the same thing as two orders.
ME: You have one hotcake in each container? (Secretly, I want to shout, "What is WRONG with you people?" However, it is the Lord’s day and patience is supposed to be a virtue. Actually, an order of hotcakes is three cakes. I’m wondering about their math skills.)
ME: (I merely shake my head and take the bags.)
ME: Home. Yep. One pancake in each container, cold, because they didn’t have their little pancake companions to keep them warm. Oh, surprise, the fourth container has two hotcakes in it. Must be a bonus.

2 comments:

Design Goddess said...

That is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Maybe they were Abbot and Costello aficionados? Oh, but they probably don't even know who those guys are! I guess that'll teach you to order something other than the standard egg McMuffin! :)

Melanie Miday-Stern said...

I am sorry that I wasn't there to take your order or to tell them to GET IT RIGHT!!! Sounds like an interesting time at the grand McD's. UGH!

Melanie